Saturday, October 26, 2013

Reading Thai Numbers and Dates

Thailand 1962 1 baht
Thailand, located in southeast Asia a little south of China, is another country that does not use Western Arabic (European) numerals (0, 1, 2, 3...) to represent numbers. In order for coin collectors in the United States, Europe, and similar locations to properly identify both the denomination and year of a Thai coin, it is useful to know how to translate Thai numbers and dates to their European equivalents.

The Thai Numerals

The symbols that the Thai language uses to represent the numbers 0 through 9 are known as Thai numerals and are based on older symbols known as Khmer numerals. Below is a chart showing the Thai numerals that represent the Western Arabic numerals 0 through 9:


The Thai numeral system is a positional number system, so numbers larger than 9 are constructed as they would be using Western Arabic numbers:
  • 10 = 
  • 23 = 
  • 496 = 
On coins, the denomination (value) of a coin is usually followed by the Thai word บาท ("baht", the name of the Thai currency).

Here are some examples from actual Thai coins:
Left to right: 1, 25, and 10
To translate Thai numbers, you just replace the Thai symbols with their Western Arabic equivalents (there is no calculation involved, unlike Japanese numbers). Some more recent Thai coins include the denomination in Arabic numerals (note the "10" on the right-most coin).

Thai Dates

Once you can translate the Thai numbers, converting the date on Thai coins to the Common Era (e.g. 2013) is done by subtracting 543 from the Thai year. (Wikipedia has more information about the Thai Solar Calendar for those that are interested.)  The coin's year usually follows the initials พ.ศ. ("B.E.", which stands for Buddhist Era).

Here are date examples from actual Thai coins:
Left to right: 2551 (2008), 2543 (2000), and 2552 (2009)



20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. nice article...

      very good information and Inspiring & Interesting.

      success always

      Obat Bius

      Delete
    2. Testimony of Restoration with the help of Martinez Lexie(Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com OR +18168926958)..

      I have been in financial mess for the past months, I'm a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Renee Joan Rothell, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about Mr Martinez Lexie of ( Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com ); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy.. After that my loan application worth 78,000.00 USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company website: http://lexieloans.bravesites.com OR text: +18168926958


      Delete
  2. what is the coin 10 baht made of?? have had one of these for many years never knew it was Thai money

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are acutely aware that currency is an inevitable technical development that will lead to significant innovation in online commerce, financial systems, international payments and remittances, and global economic development.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even understand the link to the actual home-page when i 'm within the foyer today consequently logging into sites on the web site through the online game is not possible personally bank.

    RS Gold

    Buy RS Gold

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice article...

    very good information and Inspiring & Interesting.

    success always

    Obat Bius

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank You very much .... but now i can't find the year in the banknotes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have the coin on the far right, the 1 with the silver outline and golden centre, would you be able to tell me its value?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the information about the auctions very helpful. http://www.policeauctions.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for posting this information. My son found a 1 baht coin and your post helped us decipher the date. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I have a few Thai coins and this information was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  12. This will also help you with the respect of your peers as you will be able to talk shop with more experienced users and come across as more than just a novice coin collecting books.
    Since coins are made of precious metals the values will fluctuate in a market that is based on more than just collectibles.
    For more visit: coin collecting books

    ReplyDelete

  13. A major difference between many collecting hobbies and coin collecting is that with coin collecting the collectables can be worth very large amounts of money.
    Coin collecting historically, was done as a way to preserve and hopefully increase wealth. Coins where accumulated and saved in the hope that their value would appreciate.
    For more information: coin collecting books

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this article - without it I would be lost knowing what the coins were. Very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A question about the date on the coin - is it the date that that particular coin was minted, or the date that that series was first introduced [by series, I'm referring to the particular images on front/ obverse, and positioning of text]?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Testimony of Restoration with the help of Martinez Lexie(Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com OR +18168926958)..

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I'm a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Renee Joan Rothell, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about Mr Martinez Lexie of ( Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com ); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy.. After that my loan application worth 78,000.00 USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company website: http://lexieloans.bravesites.com OR text: +18168926958

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb Article! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete